Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Beginning

The Beginning



When I first heard of the genius project, I immediately thought of sign language. I love to be able to communicate through my hands, and it's always been an interest of mine. However, I also have an extreme interest in Latin, and that language could help me to expand my English understanding and of course help me with learning new languages, because many word roots come from the Latin language. 
After long consideration, I realized that Latin would be more beneficial to learn now, because my SATs are coming up, and it would be wonderful if I learned something that could help me improve my SAT scores.





Here is a chart just to show the benefits of learning Latin on SAT scores.




I have decided to learn Latin through Rosetta Stone, however my decision is different from my parents. My mom is on board with me learning Latin through Rosetta Stone, and my dad knows that I want to take Latin, and has been willing in the past to buy me a language learning program. Because of this, I was not able to start to learn the actual language of Latin, but I was able to do a little bit of research about its history.

My Research



Through my research, I learned that :

Latin was originally spoken in Latium, a region around Rome. 80% of English words come from Latin. Latin was the learned language for science and politics, for over a thousand years. It was replaced however by French and English. Latin is still the formal language of the Roman Catholic Church, and is one of the official national languages of Vatican. Latin is also used for classifying living things in science. 
Some English grammar was influenced through Latin, but they don't have the same grammar rules. During the 16th to 18th century, English writers created many words through Latin roots. They were known as "ink pot" words, as if they were spilled from an ink pot.
This just gives me background on where the roots come from, and how it affects English. This shows me why it's important to learn Latin now.

Here are the links from where I found the information:



http://www.latinlanguage.org/latin/history.asp




("Latin Language." History of the Latin. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Feb. 2015.)

http://linguistics.byu.edu/classes/ling450ch/reports/latin.html




(Hallen, Cynthia L. "Latin." Latin. Brigham Young University, n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2015.)





What I learned

So far this hasn't really taught me about anything about myself, other than I find an interest in a dead language and that I like to build a foundation of learning before I expand upon that foundation. From here I want to start to learn the language, and I hope that my parents will let me download the Rosetta Stone kit, so that I can begin to learn Latin ASAP.



My goals



By every 2 block days I want to finish one of the sections of Rosetta Stone. Rosetta Stone tests your knowledge as you progress, which is my way of testing my skills. I will measure my progress through having one section finished by 2 block days. 


Comments


I commented on Lizzy Cutler, Christy Yang, and Sieanna Rahatt's blogs.








2 comments:

  1. Hey Toni,
    I really like your idea as this will help you and hopefully stick with you for the rest of your life. I think that some people have a knack for learning languages and if you have that this will help you be very successful. Also, is there any set goal you have at the end in terms of reading, writing or speaking? Is the only resource you were going to use Rosetta Stone? I recommend that you don't stray too far off that as it is very successful and you don't want to get confused. Maybe take an SAT vocab test now and after and see if your score went up!!
    Dave W

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an awesome idea! Latin really seems like a useful language to have, even if there aren't as many people that you would be able to communicate with using it. However, I completely understand how it would help with your SAT scores, as a lot of words are derived from the Latin language. Now I'm tempted to learn Latin just to raise my SAT score, haha.

    ReplyDelete