Sunday, February 22, 2015

Unit 1

Hi guys!!

Rosetta Stone came in the mail earlier this week! I was very excited to start to use it! There are four units in the first of three CDs of Rosetta Stone. I was set-back on my goal because Rosetta Stone came halfway through the first cycle. I will have to spend a lot of time with Rosetta Stone this cycle to meet my goal of completing all four units by the next block day. I finished the first unit tonight, and hope by the end of the week to finish the next two units.

I've already learned a lot from the program, through listening, speaking, writing, and grammar lessons. Rosetta Stone has many different exercises. In listening sections, one of the exercises is that they will play a word while you pick the picture that it is associated with. In speaking sections, one of the exercises is they have you speak to complete a sentence. In writing exercises, they have you type out vocabulary words. In grammar lessons, they have you fill in a sentence with the correctly conjugated word.

With my experience of French, I was able to recognize a lot of words. I find the influence that Latin had on other languages interesting, and now it is showing it's benefits with my French and English.

I cannot bring Rosetta Stone into school, which means that I have to put in more time at home to make up for the lost time at school. That's fine with me, though, because I find an extreme interest in the language, and enjoy spending time learning it.

In the first unit, I learned basic words. I learned genders, numbers, colors, food, clothing, animals, settings, actions and on and on. Here's a picture of the program, and some of the words that I was learning.


I thought it would be helpful to translate some of the words seen:
femina - woman
ambulant - (to) walk
oryzam - rice
luna - moon
sol - sun
caelum - sky

I learned that I have difficulty with pronouncing Latin words, and am glad that it is mainly read and not spoken. I learned that my past with French helps me remember Latin words. I'm really happy with the project that I chose, and I find a lot of interest in it. I hope that I will be able to meet my goals by the next block day.

Comments:
I commented on David Weiss, Lizzy Cutler, and Christy Yang.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Toni, so typical of you to learn a new language. I mean you're already good enough at French so why not just tack on another language to your repertoire. I really like how you set up your blog. I like how you gave the audience a little taste of the stuff you learned this week. I think you should keep doing that for whoever decides to check in on you weekly. You can help someone else learn latin while you are learning too! Have fun learning the language. One day, when you're fluent, I'm going to learn latin and try to pathetically speak to you. Okay? Cool. Good luck, love your whole project!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Toni! So I was curious about Rosetta Stone, as I've always had an interest in learning other languages too. Is Rosetta Stone a lot easier compared to other ways to learning a language? I assume it'd be easier than, per say, French class, because with Rosetta Stone all the focus is on you and you only. What do you think? Agree, disagree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have an interest in language so I find your blog very interesting. I was curious about one thing though. Do you find learning a language online is harder than learning one in the classroom? I was planning on learning Spanish online for the summer and I wanted to know if it would be more beneficial. I love your blog and I can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toni
    You seem very motivated, I dont know if I could learn another language and love it like you do. I can definitely tell how into it you seem but if I were you I'd be pissed that Rosetta Stone came late. I can definitely see how french helps you learn as sol and luna are from spanish too. I do think that speaking the language is a very important aspect of the language but most importantly you gotta know what the words mean, especially for the SATs.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a really cool project and it will be helpful to learn about for your future. My cousin who graduated from Stanford told me that learning the roots of words (most often Latin than not) is essential for understanding the English, Spanish, French, and many other Latin based languages. So on of the more common uses for the Latin language would be word comprehension. But do you have a specific motive or a specific way that you would use this new skill?

    ReplyDelete